What size should you buy?
Most adult wigs come in standard sizes for men or for women based on average adult head sizes. If you have a smaller or larger head, you can purchase a smaller or larger wig for your needs. Children’s wigs are also available in the smallest sizes. To find your correct size, you should measure the circumference of your head. Wrap a flexible measuring tape around your hairline, behind your ears and around the nape of your neck, and record the measurement. Then check your measurement against the manufacturer sizing for the brand you are interested in.
- Ultra petite and children’s sizes: Most wig manufacturers designate a head circumference of 18 ½ to 19 ½ inches for ultra petite and children's wigs.
- Petite sizes: A woman’s head circumference of 20 ½ to 21 ½ inches will likely wear a petite sized wig.
- Average size wigs: Between 90 and 95 percent of women wear average sized wigs. These are made for women with a head size between 21 ½ and 22 ½ inches.
- Large wigs: Some women wear a large sized wig. While manufacturers might vary in sizes, a large wig usually fits a head circumference of 22 ½ to 23 ½ inches.
- Adjustable sizes: Many average sized wigs can be adjusted a bit for a slightly more snug fit.